Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Obama or Romney: Election Day in America



election day, american flag, voting

Watching election results trickling in at 4pm California time, the talking heads so excited that I just heard one of them referring to Mitt Romney as Mitt Ryan, I too am caught up in the race. Projections and exit polls are really all we've got at this early moment in time. Real statewide results won't be available for some time.

It's been a long, ugly campaign, not one that evokes a lot of pride in the process. The ugliness isn't a requirement even if it is somewhat traditional. I've been morbidly comforted by stories of nasty campaigns dating back to the days of our Founding Fathers, including the race for president between Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

Right now, the Country and the Congress are so polarized I can't help but wonder what will bring us together and break the gridlock in our Country's capital. Even within my own family we are at odds about who we want to be the next president. We politely avoid talk about politics. We are a very non-confrontational family so this isn't surprising. Fortunately, my husband and I agree politically which means we are preaching to the choir when we voice our opinions, but it still feels good to know that somebody agrees with your point of view.

Now to wait it out, TV tuned to my local public broadcasting station, frozen dinner waiting in the wings ready to be zapped at a moment's notice. Anything is possible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...